Friday, September 12, 2008

Tones is getting hitched

So I'm sure that most of you guys have heard this already, but I proposed to Alex last Thursday (September 4th). And she said yes. So that makes me engaged.

Everyone that reads this probably wants the story. So for the record, I had the ring for a couple weeks beforehand, knowing that I wanted to propose, but I had no idea how. I have always imagined the whole proposal to be something different and special for every couple, so even if nobody else cared, I had to make it special for Alex and myself.

In fact, I might dare day that I wasn't necessarily planning on doing it that Thursday. I wasn't sure if there was enough time. But somewhere along the course of that day I worked out the plan. So I had an idea. And a ring. Which for me, equals not being able to hold it in anymore.

Here's what I did: I made her a book. Alex, in her apartment, has coffee table books with titles like How to find Mr. Right, Boys are Stupid, and other stuff. These books are composed of funny/thoughtful pictures with descriptions under them. I made her a book titled "How to Find a Guy or Dude So Ridiculously Awesome That You'll Probably Want to Marry Him." It took so long to set things up. I had to pick all the pictures to put in there. And think of cool things to say about all of them.

But here's where I went wrong: I just had to buy her flowers. Unfortuntely I remembered that just about 3 minutes late. Because that is how late I was to get to the flower shop. So I stupidly spent about 45 minutes trying to find flowers anywhere else. The whole time I had in my head a quote from a friend that day, "If you are going to propose, you better get her flowers." So I have going through my head that the night just won't be cool enough without flowers. And they have to be lillies. Getting the wrong kind of flowers might have been worse than no flowers at all. So I didn't get her flowers.

Finally I got everything together, and I'm leaving my apartment, and calling her. I knew I was going to have an interesting night, because she had the voice of, "I know you haven't been at school, and you've been doing random stuff for a long time tonight that I can't know of." She seemed a little burned out of waiting. We went out to ice cream, and then went to our secret hole in the world park outside of Orem. It's kind of our special place to go and talk and have fun, and know that nobody else will bother us. Since we both discovered the place together, its a cool "us" place.

So there I gave her the book. She read through it to the last page. And she just stares at me. I looked at her and said, "So what is missing in all the pictures?" She stared at me for the longest time ever, without saying anything. Then finally she says, "a ring?" I replied, semi-reluctantly, "Oh yeah. That's right." I paused for about a minute. I figured I would milk this engagement for all its worth, as if we were on an episode of the Office. I then said, "Okay, who am I fooling." And then I proposed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda almost like your version better... and if you have a costco card, it is a great place to buy flowers, or lilies... and they are open until 8:30. Anyways we are so excited for you!

The Boring Family said...

It's about time we got the other side of the story! We're glad you two are finally official! Congrats!

Unknown said...

ahahaha, so about me "pausing"...i totally thought the night was going to be a fakeout! admit it tyler, that's something you would do--pretend that you were going to propose to me and then be like, "nope, not yet! gotcha!" so i was nervous and didn't want to get the wrong answer. :)

but the whole night was perfect. i love you.